February 2018 Therapeutic Play Skills Certificate
FETAC Level 6 Minor Award
offered on a part time, blended learning basis which will equip the learner with the relevant knowledge, skill and competence to plan, deliver and evaluate both group and individual play based interventions. It is an experientially based learning programme with an additional online component.
• Equip participants with skills to plan and deliver, individual and group, developmentally appropriate play interventions with children and young people;
• Enable learners to focus on meeting children’s specific needs and facilitate therapeutic interventions in the context of their holistic development using play;
• Enable participants to use play as a therapeutic and developmental medium in a wide range of settings including educational/learning, residential and day care, recreational and hospital;
• Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to use play and its developmental, educational and therapeutic applications.
This programme is suitable for those who:
• Have a particular interest in the therapeutic powers of play and wish to acquire skills to facilitate children and young people to overcome negative influences and circumstances in their lives.
• Wish to attain a recognized qualification and embark on, or enhance, a professional career in working with children in a range of settings.
• Wish to further their own knowledge and understanding of play and its developmental, educational and therapeutic applications.
• Would like to upskill to enhance employment prospects and/or job satisfaction and promotion opportunities
This award will also be of interest to holders of the Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education and to others including teachers, therapists, social workers etc whose professional life brings them into regular contact with at-risk children and children in crisis
To access this programme learners should have reached the standards of knowledge, skills and competence associated with level 5 on the National Framework of Qualifications. This may have been achieved through a formal qualification or through relevant life and work experiences.
Cost: €680 (Payment plan options available on request)
Venue: Mountmellick, Co Laois
Note: This programme runs at a number of locations around Ireland.
On completion of the programme, including successful completion of associated assignments and the attainment of 15 credits, the learner will be awarded a component certificate in Therapeutic Play Skills which is set at level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications.
Applications are accepted by letter giving details of the applicants name, address, email and phone numbers, educational background, current employment, and reasons for wishing to complete the course. An up to date CV should be included.
Successful applicants may need to be garda vetted prior to completing practical assignments in an early years, education or healthcare setting. Please indicate in application letter if you have already been Garda vetted and if you have access to children in a suitable work (paid or voluntary) setting within which you could complete play sessions.
Post letter of application and CV to: Children’s Therapy Centre, Slievenagorta, Ballymore, Mullingar, Co Westmeath or email to firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 087 6488149
Fees: Payable directly to bank account (details available on playment plan sheet) or post to above address. Cheques, drafts, PO’s payable to Children’s Therapy Centre